28 January, 2019BACK TO NEWS
Looking for a quick recap on the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series 2019, so far?
Here’s SEVEN points summarising what you need to know.
- Fiji retained their title at the HSBC New Zealand Sevens in Hamilton on the weekend (January 26-27), and they're looking forceful.
- It was Fiji’s second tournament win in succession on the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series 2019, after the team also claimed 22 points (gold) in Cape Town on the weekend of December 8-9.
- Competing in their third Cup final of the season, the USA team was unable to overcome a formidable start from Fiji and went down 0-38 to claim silver.
- Still on Hamilton, in the bronze final New Zealand made sure they finished their home campaign on a winning note with a 29-7 victory over South Africa.
- Fiji’s victory means they now sit level with the USA at the top of the standings on 57 points, three rounds in to the series. New Zealand follow on 54, after claiming the opening round in Dubai, before a ten-point gap down to South Africa in fourth. See full series standings here.
- There is extra incentive for teams this year, as at the end of ten rounds the top four teams will qualify automatically for the Olympics in Tokyo 2020.
- We’re two rounds into the women’s series with New Zealand sitting firmly on top of the standings on 40 points following victories in Glendale and Dubai. Canada is sitting in second on 34 points followed by USA (32) and Australia (28). See full series standings here.
Here’s what’s been played:
GLENDALE: 20-21 October 2018 (Women’s)
DUBAI: 29 November – 1 December 2019 (Men’s & Women’s)
CAPE TOWN: 8-9 December 2018 (Men’s)
HAMILTON: 26-27 January 2019 (Men’s)
Here’s what’s to come:
SYDNEY: 1-3 February 2019 (Men’s & Women’s)
LAS VEGAS: 1-3 March 2019 (Men’s)
VANCOUVER: 9-10 March 2019 (Men’s)
HONG KONG: 5-7 April 2019 (Men’s)
SINGAPORE: 13-14 April 2019 (Men’s)
KITAKYUSHU: 20-21 April 2019 (Women’s)
LANGFORD: 11-12 May 2019 (Women’s)
LONDON: 25-26 May 2019 (Men’s)
PARIS: 1-2 June 2019 (Men’s)
BIARRITZ: 15-16 June 2019 (Women’s)